- Establishment: Purple Peanuts Japanese Cafe
- Address: 620 Collins Street, Spencer street end, Melbourne (near Southern Cross Station, any tram running along Collins and get off at Spencer Street)
- Hours: Mon to Sat, 10am – 8:30pm
- Contact: 9629 3988
- Purple Peanuts Facebook page
- Visit date: 30th July, 2012
I think I’ll be reviewing this place a few times because it’s SO DARN GOOD!
This place is extremely busy and the reason is being the most wonderful and fast served Japanese food I’ve had so far. I love the dining experience, even though it can be a bit of a tight squeeze, it’s still good. The Purple Peanuts crew were exceptionally pleasant and it’s REALLY nice to be told that “You’re welcome back anytime!”
For $9, I got a warming hearty beef curry soba that contained a generous amounts of wafer thin slices of nicely cooked beef, silky buckwheat noodles in a mild curry broth dotted with carrots, spinach, onions, red pickle ginger, capsicum topped with a tip basil of leaf. It was just beautiful…I’m coming back.
Bonus points for the crazy stuffed octopus sitting on the fridge, The Skeleton Spectre triptychby Kuniyoshi up on the wall and that very comfortable feeling of having a Japanese cafe near the train station. It just feels so right.